Thread: Coccyx pain
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 01:56 PM

Default re my coccyx pain

Gail,
I suffered really badly with this type of pain for a very long time. I avoided sitting like the plague for many years. Just now I can sit again tho not for lonnnng periods of time tho long enough to be social which was impossible before.

One of the things that I was told was after my 2nd discectomy scar tissue formed on rt. S1 nerve root. The Ortho said that all the sacral nerve roots exit the same area so there can be clumping with scar tissue and hence the diffuse symptoms I experienced which were also severe low back pain and burning pain thru my buttocks and legs to feet. The pain was pretty horrific for a long time (a year) and then slowly and I do mean slowly (over 5 years) tapered off only remaining in some places (perianal) and quads when walking distances. Now that's pretty much alleviated however I did have an "episode" recently that has exaccerbated the coccyx pain along with low back pain and I think it's related to my bike riding which I haven't done in ages and when I did it was with a heavier bicycle that probably absorbed more shock.

Oh well.. live and learn. I was always afraid to have more surgery done after this pain abated in fears of exaccerbating it as it can be brutal.

Please continue to post your trials to alleviate this pain. I'm sure it will be helpful to others. When I was experiencing this type of pain the doctors pretty much had nothing to offer tho a really excellent PT that worked specifically with chronic pain patients worked with me alot in terms of soft tissue massage and release.

Good luck