Thread: What-If's
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 01:56 PM

Welcome, and I'm sorry you have a need for our forum family.

I went through all the same trauma over the past five years, and thankfully found a wonderful out of country surgeon late last winter. We rapidly made plans and I had a three level, minimally invasive surgery in mid March, just three months ago.

The results are wonderful. I had a non-metal ADR at C5/6 and fusion at L4/5 and L5/S1. The surgeon was Dr. Luiz Pimenta in Sao Paulo, Brazil. I can't recommend him highly enough...he was very empathetic and thorough and made me feel like I was his top priority, unlike any other surgeon in my own country (Canada). His cost for this was almost half of surgery in Germany, and less than one quarter of that in NYC, where I had a consult with another fine surgeon.

I had no horrid pain post-op, as many patients do, and was able to travel around Brazil to some nice resorts just over a week after surgery. I had to be careful of course, but other than being tired, the traveling was not bad.

While I still have some residual pain in my lumbar area, it is nothing like the pre-op pain, and I expect it to disappear after I'm fully healed.

If you'd like more information, feel free to email or send me a PM.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.