View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 08:45 AM

Default Post op food more

Hi, I found things that were easy and required little chewing were best. Soups, jello, Ice cream (yea). Bananas are good for potassium. Mike is great for fusion stuff. Prune juice, stool softeners, laxatives, yadayada to help with constipation. Keep things moving.

I think I wrote in another section a list of things to prepare for surgery...things you might want/need etc. Someone started this list and I found it very helpful. You'll want a grabber most likely. A big thing (after the six weeks wait for driving) I noticed was that when I didn't put the car seat way back, I would wind up twisting and really hurting myself. Now I always put the seat way back before I get in and when I'm getting out. Takes more time but saves on lots of pain. I got a great pillow to sit on in my car and also a lumbar support as I'm so weak with sitting.

Good shoes that slip on and off are really helpful. I now wear my froggies (what are those ugly shoes called) all the time. They are great and light.
I've gotten rid of most of my purses as they are all too heavy. Every little thing like this has really helped me...cleaning out my wallet, etc. Getting comfy easy to get in and out of pj's. Baby wipes for when I was too tired to shower (first week is noooo fun for this). Also when getting into and out of the car after surgery using a plastic trash bag under the seat can really help to move you easily.

Maybe you know all of this? If so sorry, anyway I posted this and other stuff in another section. I am about six months post op and it was the best decision I ever made to do it. I have a two level fusion front and back. I've started to hike in the last month. My brain is no longer obsessed with pain and panic attacks.

Best!

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.