View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 02:07 PM

Default On the road... literally!

Well, I am post-op day #6 and I think doing pretty ok.

No more narcotics since last week and just on Tylenol arthritis- that 8 hour formulation is fantastic as it lasts the whole night!!! My friend recovering from breast cancer told me about just before I had to stop all my NSAID's.

Got out for a walk and this hot swelteringly hot morning was able to do my 1 mile loop including the little hill without too much difficulty. At first the problem was more with the "bouncing" of walking too quickly, or too normally, but seemed fine today. As it was my first walk alone outside, took along one of my hiking sticks (that I started using with my knee injury and after surgery a few years ago) and I can feel like I have a little more stability if I were to stumble a little.

Little frustrated that the collar is going to keep me from doing all the things I had wanted to do this month- things related to looking down at a table in front of me! Will have to find other things and ways to do them. Doc wants my chin neutral and not down for the month, I agree!!

Didn't lose my voice either. Poor family. Just not as loud as usual- less volume.

Eating is not a significant problem- more of a dysfunctional swallow, little extra air, but not painful. Need help cutting my food as I can't see it well! Using extra water with eating to wash it down well.

We'll see what the next few days bring!

Thanks again,

C4/5, 5/6. 6/7 degenerative cervical spine disease with stenosis, severe cord compression with atrophy
presented suddenly
Post Op for Anterior corpectomy and fusion of C5-7 with PEEK cage, discectomy and fusion C4-5 with PEEK cage and anterior titanium plate June '10