View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Crystal, you are discussing abrasion as THE treatment. This is another one of MANY procedures I call a "discectomy with a twist." There are a large number of twists, with lasers, RF treatments, electrothermal annuloplasty, chemical chasers, and more.

I don't think there is an indication for abrasion. As I understand it, there are indications for discectomy and some people may benefit from the twist.

IMHO, if you are a good candidate for a discectomy, it matters little what the twist is. If you are not a great candidate for a discectomy, the twist matters little.

I do know spine patients who have benefitted greatly from the twists, but for the most part, successful SED's, Abrasions, IDET's, PLLD's... and on and on, are simply successful discectomies.

Aaron, your cephalad extrusion would be one that travels up towards your head, instead of caudal, or down towards your sacrum. I believe you are right that it is likely not a contained herniation, so there is disc nucleus material in the canal area.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org