View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 01:21 PM

Aaron,
I understand that extrusion is a full thickness herniation including thru the outer annulus fibrosis but the herniated material is trapped beneath the vertical posterior ligament. Because it is trapped it is harder for the body to attack, break down and resorb the material. However I have seen a MRI case study where even after two years the extrusion was slowly still reducing.
I don't think any type of acid would be a good additive for discs. It is already acidic environment for the nucleus, and also acidity is one cause of leaking disc pain I think.

Mark,
With respect, the reference to abrasion referred to that specific procedure only and was in reply to Job13 posted experience about it and also bearing in mind that it has some disc regeneration claims, which was subject of thread.

Separate paragraph was referring to micro discectomy in general, at least all the aggressive forms, that involve invading disc and removing or otherwise destroying of part of nucleus.

Prior to aggressive micro discectomy, are patients advised there is increased risk of accelerated disc height loss and degeneration associated with the procedure, leading to possible future pain and more surgery? I think they should be so they can make most informed decision. Job13 is an example where such procedures contributed to rapid loss of disc height, which then led to the other operations and outcomes.
This is one of the articles I read months ago.
Two-year outcome after lumbar microdiscectomy vers... [Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008] - PubMed result