View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 02:41 PM

Default Moving along

So I thought I would post an update.

I am 39 days post op, had my first xray and dr visit. The spine looks incredible- he really lined up everything so nicely, restored my curve and instead of looking like a dilapidated tenement building, I have a beautiful spine again.... sort of, of course.

I can officially say I don't have any loose screws

I went back to work this week, and definitely had some pain progressing throughout the week. I guess I can't expect any different. I am at least pleased that when I get pain, if I sit back and relax my neck, it stops, so it is manageable.

I walk about 4 miles daily, and I think that has helped a lot with the muscles in my neck as even though I am still in the collar (see below), the collar is not actually holding up my head when I walk, my own muscles are, and I think that has contributed to a more active recovery.

Back to the collar.... of course he told me 4 weeks in the collar, and I was a bit surprised with 3 levels that was all he wanted, and sure enough he added 2 more weeks on. Which is fine with me, as it really is comfortable and a bit of a security blanket of sorts at this point. He didn't want me to drive with it on, but frankly the thought of not wearing it in the car is a bit chilling.... don't trust my fellow drivers, so I am very careful and I do have very good visibility and no less range of motion with the collar on- it's not as though I would be looking over my shoulder at the neck anyway. I have my little fish eye mirrors on my wing mirrors. I don't think I feel comfortable on the highway and most of my driving can be on single lane backroads anyway, which doesn't seem to need much neck turning. I twist at the waist and hips, as I started doing before surgery anyway as sharp neck turning was painful anyway.

My scar is a little over 3 inches long, but is healing really nicely. I have been using a silicone pad over it since the steri strips came off, and I think it is looking great. I found that the scar looked better the longer the pad was in place, instead of the numerous scar treatment oils and creams I tried. So I am committed to mostly using the silicone as much as I can. The color will have to fade with time, but it is not raised in the least and some small patches of it are even quite faded already.
The worst area is right over my apple where there is the most traction from speaking and swallowing.... dead center. Oh well, I bought a bunch of scarves...

Still on the Tylenol arthritis 8 hour. It varies that I take it 2-3 times, thought I was weaning, but then I seem to need it again. I am not complaining.

Taking all my vitamins, eating a healthy bone healing targeted diet. Only foods with nutritive value will pass my lips... well almost all of them, I do have a little treat now and then.

In case anyone is interested, after spending much time researching, these are the supplements I am taking:

Ca++ with Mag and Zinc
Vit D (I checked a level prior to surgery, and was just a little low, so am taking a slightly higher dose)
"Centrum Performance" multi vit- it has a bunch of the minerals that aid with Calcium absorption, including silica, boron, and a few others not in the other multivits- I read a lot of labels, and this one really seemed to be the one.
multi B50
Vit E
Vit C
iron
Lysine.

I usually don't do supplements. I figure, I will use all the help I can get. None are mega doses, just supplement doses. Remember- if you megadose fat soluble vits, you will overstore them and bad stuff can happen, and the watersoluble vits just get peed into the toilet.

Regards!

C4/5, 5/6. 6/7 degenerative cervical spine disease with stenosis, severe cord compression with atrophy
presented suddenly
Post Op for Anterior corpectomy and fusion of C5-7 with PEEK cage, discectomy and fusion C4-5 with PEEK cage and anterior titanium plate June '10