View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 04:01 PM

Default Interesting T-Spine Q&A

Mark I thought you might find this interesting, I am still a little confused and taken back by it , but this is a well respected surgeon with lots of exp. in scoliosis of thorasic. My email to him and his answers to my question

Dear Dr. Fessler,

My name is Aaron Nelsen and I am sorry to bother you ,but I was looking over some spinal books for thorasic spine information and I saw your name and then found your email address. I am having the most confusing time with my thorasic injury. I have a T6- T7 herniation with cord impingement, tears at T5 - T8 and those levels were positive on discogram, but I don't have much radiating pain just massive pain directly over that part of spine and on the right side of Tspine. I am confused because some doctors I see say I should not be hurting from the thorasic area, while others agree that is were my pain is coming from, just surgury is to big at my age. I have been told thorasic fusions are unpredictable, only 50 % success rate, will have adjacent problems after fusion ( I thought the ribs supporting would limit adjacent degeneration ). I have had doctors tell me if this was in lumbar or cervical we would operate. Its all very confusing and along with the fact that I have done so much rehab, professional as well as on my own. I have maintained good ROM due to yoga and pilates and I follow strict rehab plans. But all I have ever gotten is short term relief. I have a couple of questions for you if time permits.

1. Would you do the VATS surgury or the open surgury if you were having T spine surgury?

No. VATS is relatively rarely used now. I have less invasive ways of taking the disc out.

2. Are the success rates that low

Success all depends on the reason for surgery. Generally, results for “back” pain, as opposed to radicular pain are not as good.

3. After 5 years is the chance of my tears healing?

I think it is unlikely that the tears are causing any of your pain. Frankly, I’ve never heard of Thoracic discography before, and I’m a little skeptical of that recommendation.