View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 03:46 AM

Default re meds

Mark,
I think when one is taking multiple medications and/or is taking higher doses of pain meds esp.opioid pain meds or is having difficulty remembering if and when a dose is taken the daily medicine containers are very helpful It would be good they had a lock feature however one can put the container in something that locks if necessary.

I take a great deal less than I used to take of Neurontin so now I know a half a 600mg pill and I bite it so I know when I do that daily. I take two 5mg pain pills and I'm very good about remembering now if I've taken them or not because I take it every 24 hours and usually wait until I start to feel GI symptoms that start when I haven't taken the drug w/i the last 24 hours.

What I'm trying to say I don't use the daily containers. I take considerbly less medicines than just several months ago. Still would it be possible for me to double my dose if I were preoccupied or just overwhelmed w/life and daily occurences, in a rush or something of this nature.. probably. Would it be better if I used the containers, probably.

What you're advocating makes perfect sense and is a good thing do do. For someone living alone and on a number of medications it might not be a bad idea to get something like "Life Alert" and have a lockbox on the door with extra set of keys and Life Alert people know combination to lock box should paramedics need to get in.

Also if living with someone like husband, wife, partner it's a good idea to have a typed up list of medications and conditions taking medication for available should paramedics have to be called with list of any allergies and medical history.

One can wear a medical band w/conditions/allergies if they want to do this or some kind of attractive medic alert necklace even.

There are potential for interactions of medications so even before popping an OTC remedy for itching, cough, or ?? we should remember to ask the pharmacist and also check a list of interactions. It's our responsibility to report prescription medications and OTC meds/supplements as well to pharmacist/doctor/treating provider. Various drugs can have a synergistic effect or potentiate the effect of a drug we are taking so it's important to know if that might happen. Talk to the pharmacist when planning to start any new medication and make sure to ask about potential interactions of these nature.

When starting any new medication if possible start it in the presence of another person or let someone else know if you live alone that you are going to start or stop a medication just in case you're not seen for a period of time and could someone check in to make sure everything is OK.

If one drinks remember there are certain types of alcohol that pack more of a wallop than others and may really do a number on that surpressing the resp. center along with an opioid medication/pain meds. Mixing alcohol and drugs can be lethal.

Even tho we may take all these precautions some oddball situation can happen however we have to make our best efforts to minimize this which I think is what you are getting at esp. given we are taking some "mind altering" medications.

I've had 2 near experiences happen to me in the past and the first was dehydration while walking (didn't realize that Morphine would dry me out that much while walking by the beach in the hot sun) and the 2nd was nearly burning my house down by falling asleep while cooking (had sat on the couch in the living room and fell asleep).

I do remember the Braintalk person that passed away because of the dose discrepancy in meds that she was taking and what it was supposed to be. That was really tragic. I am so glad that our person here ultimately was Ok tho what he went thru was of the most serious nature so it is extremely important that we are as careful as we can be with our meds and set up a system of checks and balances that help us out as we may tend to be forgetful (as well as other things).

Last edited by Maria; 08-23-2010 at 03:48 AM.