View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 05:59 PM

Default re legal issues abroad/other countries

Legal issues
Receiving medical care abroad may subject medical tourists to unfamiliar legal issues.[30] The limited nature of litigation in various countries is one reason for the lower cost of care overseas. While some countries currently presenting themselves as attractive medical tourism destinations provide some form of legal remedies for medical malpractice, these legal avenues may be unappealing to the medical tourist. Should problems arise, patients might not be covered by adequate personal insurance or might be unable to seek compensation via malpractice lawsuits. Hospitals and/or doctors in some countries may be unable to pay the financial damages awarded by a court to a patient who has sued them, owing to the hospital and/or the doctor not possessing appropriate insurance cover and/or medical indemnity.[31]

** I googled US citizen having surgery in Germany and lawsuit there and came up w/Wikipedia definition for Medical Tourism info that was more extensive than this but the legal part was what I posted.

Of course I still stand by focus on friend's recovery and feeling better because I personally think wasted mental energy on negative doesn't help the mind-body connection w/healing (esp. talking about early phase recover tho same for long term). I've had my own share of a failed spine surgery here in the states that set me back emotionally, mentally, and physically. The people that were the most helpful to me were those that were the most emotionally supportive and helpful re resources available to work on rehabbing/recovery.

I'm hopeful for your friend because of the progress you reported. Please continue to post if you feel inclined. Call Mark~ definately!

Last edited by Maria; 10-03-2010 at 06:06 PM.