View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 11:49 PM

Default your amazing attitude!

Kelly,
I didn't have anything as severe as your post op complication altho I did have a failed back surgery in '92 that floored me with regard to the level of pain and consistancy.

I had trouble just "being" because of the severe burning cramping pains from my waist down to my feet that I had every day for 5 years post op. It was a torturous existance.. I won't lie and I took Elavil at the time for neuropathies as Neurontin wasn't yet used off label for neuropathies.

At the 5 year mark I noted less neuropathies tho still present in certain locations very strongly as well as worsening of overall spinal situation that would warrent using something and that was Neurontin (and pain medication as well as ESIs).

I took Neurontin for 12 years and then I was advised to stop taking it several months ago and switch to Lyrica because of feeling really mentally snowed (or stoned actually). During the course of weaning off the drug I realized I no longer had the horrible burning pain type of neuropathies that I've had since '92.

So.. now am not taking anything for neuropathies. I had been told I'd probably always be on something for this and really by this many years had no other expectations. Still taking pain medication every 24 hours tho WC is denying anymore lumbar ESIs (they were really helpful for me).

I've been very pleasantly surprised re the discontinuing of Neurontin (or lack of need)! I still have numbness and tingling type of sensations tho not the horrific debilitating type of burning pains ~ I'm very thankful.

Your attitude is great and I hope your recovery/healing will be continual and with marked improvement even if it does take time. I agree that it helps to stay positive as much as able and to have hope and really good spinal community support (Mark was very instrumental in helping me getting surgical opinions even thru WC) and others were "there" for me w/listening/support.

I believe that time is a great healer of emotions and for me physically I'm much improved as well or so I think if one judges improvement on a scale of less pain and greater activity/endurance/stamina.

Thank you for posting your own story and it's also uplifting to read because of your outlook and attitude! Best wishes for regaining all functioning again w/o the pain/probs. Hope you'll continue to post when able. Maria

Last edited by Maria; 10-15-2010 at 12:01 AM.