View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 08:44 PM

I have just been denied fusion by Anthem BCBS, levels L4 L5, and L5 S1, citing "not medically necessary" because of failure to prove instability. I had a laminectomy in '06 for the same levels. 5 months later I had a re-herniation at L4, L5. I have been diagnosed with severe DDD by at least 4 doctors and have exhausted every other non-surgical treatment since my first surgery including epidurals, PT, cortizone injections, etc. After living in pain for the last 4 years and having to take more and more pain meds., I decided to seek yet another opinion from a so called "conservative" surgeon. Even he believes a fusion could help me live a normal life--there was a good chance I could be the wife and mother I so wanted to be. My surgery was scheduled for Nov. 1 but yesterday I received word that the surgery has been denied by BCBS. I am extremely frustrated and depressed. My doctor's office is beginning the appeal process and plans to do a peer to peer review. The insurance broker from my husband's place of employment is looking into the matter as well. Someone had suggested I not appeal until a decision has been made with the doctor's appeal. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.