View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Is the paragraph below C6-7 for C7-T1?

I'm not sure you care much if they were to have to fuse that level. The mobile segments in your neck will already be insulated from a fusion by the 2 ADR's above. I don't know how much easier it would be to do an ACDF @ C7-T1 than an ADR? Perhaps the requirement for a 'straight in' approach would be a bit more relaxed. Whatever it is... it is.

If I had it to do over again, I doubt I'd put the ADR in T1-2. It was possible in me because I have the long neck that goes with being a tall, skinny guy. (Ok... formerly skinny.) I wonder if my thoracic pain is related to the difficulty of getting the ADR in there?

Words like obliterate and myelomalacia give pause. It is my understanding that once you get there, there is a 1/3 chance that symptoms will not be resolved when the cord is decompressed. I know it's tough to consider surgery without being in a lot of pain, but if the symptoms were to be locked in... it's nice that they are not yet severe. With the c-spine, things can go to hell in a handbasket in a hurry... then the 1/3 chance of not resolving symptoms is very daunting. The atrophy is another 'hurry up' indicator. (All this comes along with the appropriate "I'm not a doctor" qualifiers... remember, I'm a computer guy... don't listen to me about this stuff!)

300 discs is a very good amount of experience. It really seems like you've done a great job with your research. I look forward to learning more about Clavel. I spent a week in Barcelona last May... it's a shame that I didn't connect with him. Talk to you later,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org