View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 09:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to rpj541
Default Intrathecal Pain Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by paindoc View Post
To answer your question about golf and pumps the off the record answer is yes, you can play. I have several patients who do. I'd let your doctor know, however, as mine seem to just mention it in passing after the surgery. The reason is that your pain doc may want to afford you some more "slack" in the catheter at the time of surgery and pick the appropriate side for your implant according to whether you have a left or right handed swing. Most pain anesthesiologists anchor the excess catheter loosely in the pocket of the pump to allow for some twisting and bending by the paient. The catheter tract from the back incision to the abdominal incision scars in so that there is reduced traction on the catheter when the patient moves. Obviously, you need to be careful and not flex or rotate too violently as you can certainly dislodge or fracture the cateter and I have seen it happen in patients who are not involved in "athletic" endeavors. This puts you at great risk of withdraw if the fracture goes undetected...only you can decide if the risk is worth it. I'd say many pain doctors would advise against such activities, but I see a decided difference in my patients' well-being when they can recapture some of the activities that make them happy...not to mention the health benefits of not just sitting around all day. Hope this helps.
Yes, PainDoc, you have given me great peace of mind. Thank you so much. And I'll be sure and talk to my doc about this on my next visit.

Ray