Thread: Nursing staff
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 PM

Default A old timer nurse here

Back when I was an RN working the floor and units I think we were held to a higher standard of care or so it seems as I have seen much as a patient and an advocate that really scares me. I also think that there is gross understaffing based on patient-nurse ratio legislation passed in some states (not in ICU type settings rather the floors).

I've been really surprised at what I've seen however I've also seen physicians make some grave errors in prescribing and so forth so let's just say it's best if there is someone that can act as your advocate in case one is rendered unable to think for him/herself.

A turn for the worse can happen so quickly in or out of the hospital however clear cut errors/mistakes do seem to happen unfortunately. I know I was on everyones arses in the hospital when it came to my father's care last year even the physicians.

This year when my father developed CHF there were circumstances that I think if had been addressed properly and earlier he wouldn't have gotten so sick .. again I don't want to go into it because I wasn't here and I know I would have done things differently but I just realize it was probably truly his time to go as he was 89 y.o. and he escaped death last year because I was here but then again this year was probably different.

Ann sounds like the kind of nurse that I was and I do remember the older more experienced nurses giving me "what for" way back when ... they had reason to when I was a greenfoot. These days tho I think there's just so much that either gets overlooked or is delegated to some other allied healthcare specialty and health care is fragmented.

The more people involved sometimes in the care the more room for error...will leave this topic as I have a lot of thoughts on this and most are jumbled now re what I'm dealing with. thanks for bringing up the topic tho..