Thread: Nursing staff
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 PM

Default hmm

The way it goes is the doctor writes the order for the schedule of how meds are given so if it's every 4 hours you should be able to get your meds within one half hourto one hour before or after that time at least. Usually meds follow a somewhat normal schedule of hours which may not be what you're used to.
Hopefully if you spoke to a physician or had someone speak to the physician writing orders on your med schedule you could get it right tho unfortunately it may not be as soon as you go in unless you have to time to talk to the doctor in advance and ask the orders be written a certain way.

Unfortunately some nursing staff aren't nice about med schedules and I've heard some stories that are pretty shocking to me like one of my friends went over 24 hours w/o her pain medication no matter how much she stated what she took and she was in horrible withdrawls. Also some doctors do not want to be awakened for things like getting pain med schedules changed. Whoever is on call usually lets the nurses know this. Or at least this is the way it was when I worked the floors which was ages ago (70's -80's).

I only take my pain med one time a day but if it got too far past 11a.m. w/o it I'd be starting to feel terrible and anywhere into the afternoon I'd be really uncomfortable and if it went into the night w/o it I'd be mighty sick feeling and probably acting quite looney tunes. Would I be difficult.. as difficult as my sick feeling withdrawing self would allow. Not cuz I'd want to be but because what would one expect after being on pain meds regularly for many years.

The other thing is that until I went on pain meds and was very well acquainted with the fact how physiologically dependent I am on them well even as a nurse with advanced education I just didn't "feel it" if you know what I mean. I think after all my experiences with this spine stuff I'm ever so much more empathetic about everything and esp. complaints of constipation!

One thing that might help altho you may have already tried this is to have a list of your healthcare probs and current list of meds w/schedule taken and if you're admitted to the hospital that list hopefully would be easily accessible by whomever is there advocating for you (family or friend) so they can pass it along right away to the person doing your intake (nurse?)esp. if you're unable to advocate/speak for yourself. Possibly the doctor would consider writing orders based upon a similar schedule if it doesn't conflict with anything else they want to order or do for you.

I'd make another recommendation but it's not a proper one so I best keep my thoughts to myself.

Last edited by Maria; 01-11-2011 at 08:38 PM.