View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 AM

Angry Spinal Cord Stimulator Trouble - Help

I posted this on another thread and remembered I had spoken to Mark concerning this thread so I will post this information here as well. I do not know if you recall but several months ago (about 6 months) I posted about the horrible experience I had with the implantation of my spinal cord stimulator. See original post above for more detailed information. In a nutshell, I was left with a partially flattened spinal cord, horrible banding pain around my chest, loss of feeling on the left side of my abdomen and groin area along with intermittent bowel and bladder issues....much more but those are the major issues. These problems still continue today. About 2 months ago the stimulator stopped working in my legs and started a horrible shocking sensation in my tailbone. The Boston Scientific reps have tried numberous times to adjust the unit without any success. To say the least, they have shut off the stimulator because it has stopped working as expected. X-Rays show normal lead placement. I am writing because I am left with a huge dilema. Since the stimulator is turned off I have had two surgeons state that I should have it removed. Has anyone else experienced failure of a spinal cord stimulator? Has anyone had it removed after 6 months being implanted. What would your opinion be, considering the horrible complications I had with the original surgery? Would there be a problem with scar tissue having it removed. I am really concerned with the complications I am still experiencing and am afraid if it is removed that further nerve damage may occur. I would love to hear what the group thinks about this situation. Additionally the surgeon who performed this surgery will not say a word about what went wrong with the original surgery that resulted in a T7 to T10 laminectomy days after the SCS implantation. No where in the medical records does it state there was swelling or hematoma etc... I have sent a letter to him requesting that he provide this information but I have not received a response. Reluctantly we have spoke with a few lawyers who have reviewed my records and each of them want to file a malpractice suit against him and some sort of negligent case as well. Also, to date the surgeon has not charged insurance for his surgical services or the cost of the stimulator or laminectomies performed. I am told that if the surgeon knows he did something wrong and then charges for his services it could be some sort of fraudulent wrongdoing on his part. Either way, I would like to get advice from some of you who have gone through a similar experience or have had to have an SCS removed for whatever reason
Thanks So Much In Advance for you responses,
Greg