View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 05:51 AM

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. There's always plenty of conflicting opinions about ADR vs fusion, but then add to that the conflicting opinions about whether surgery is indicated at all as well and it makes it very difficult for the patient.

It would also be easy for the fusion proponents to point to failed ADR for myelopathy situations as an example, but the reality is (from what I can tell in the various studies I've looked through) that fusion also often fails for these situations as well.

The conflicting opinions have caused me a lot of trouble - particularly when well regarded surgeons strongly express an opinion, its difficult to ignore it even though your gut, knowledge of your own symptoms, and your own research is telling you otherwise.

With this complex situation its easy to see why cord compression patients often end up leaving it far too long to have surgery.

Rob.

surfing injury 2004 - transient paralysis from neck down for 15 seconds, resolved fully - herniated c5/c6 disc plus some bulging at c3/4/5. Initially had dermatome pain after injury which resolved - general parasthesia in arms/legs was fairly mild after injury but has been worsening.