Thread: Xlif
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Default re surgery and more surgery

I have had 2 discectomies w/2nd one leaving me in horrendous pain for at least 5 years followed by another 7 years or so of pain that was at times tolerable tho mostly because of addition of pain meds and ESIs, followed by a leveling off of pain which I can handle w/one medication now (or at least so far).

In early 2000's a 3 level global fusion was offered, then 2003 2 level ADR, then 2006 a hybrid surgery with ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1.

Want to know why I didn't do any of the surgeries? Because I was worried about more or increased pain and creating more probs. If someone told me as they once did with the 3 level global fusion I may need more surgery as in fusing all the way up the lumbar spine that was enough to make seriously question doing that particular surgery (and not do it as I thought there were other options).

With the latter two surgeries offered I just didn't think they would fit the bill. I had doubts.. I didn't do either. I probably would have if I could have traveled to Europe to do surgery tho there were reasons I didn't . Currently I'm not unsatisfied with my decision however am open to the idea of spine surgery again should it become absolutely necessary.

If you're active and have more time to investigate your options a bit more perhaps you should. The more surgery performed the more potential for scar tissue I would imagine. You have to live with the results.. the surgeon doesn't so hopefully you'll really believe in what you're doing or not doing. Good luck..