View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 10:53 AM

Default re lyrica

Lyrica is specifically for diabetic neuropathies or neuropathies and we have long been using tricyclic antidepressants and antiseizure medication off label use for neuropathies. I took Neurontin for 12 years because I needed to (and Elavil 5 years before that) for neuropathies. It made a significant difference in my ability to function or not as did an opioid pain medication.

As always with any medication the benefit should outweigh the risk in order for a person to be utilizing it and it sounds as though this is a wonder drug for you as you've mentioned. You will have your regular medical checkups and labwork done that will keep both you and your treating physician aware of your health status regarding any drug being taken.

With regard to discontinuing this medication or any for that matter one should consult their treating physician and pharmacist. I discontinued Neurontin over several months bringing my dose down from 1800mg/day eventually to nothing. This allowed me to see how I responded at each incremental decrease as well as being cautious re potential for seizures (I've had one in my lifetime of unknown origin).

And as with all medications some people respond one way to something and some another way or not at all.

Last edited by Maria; 01-31-2011 at 10:56 AM.