Thread: Bad news update
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 01:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Blairsara
Unhappy Bad news update

As some of you know I have been having a lot of problems for almost three years because of facet joint pain caused by the Charite artificial disc. From the time I had the surgery in June 2004 to the present my joints have gone from completely healthy to completely degenerative. I have bone spurs, forming arthritus, and now a minimal bulging disc at L4/L5.

Since this past September things have gotten much worse. I was off pain meds for a long time, but since the end of September I have been back on them every day. My symptoms have gotten worse - my hands and feet go numb (which hasnt happened since before i had the Charite ADR) and I have tingling running up and down my back. The last time I went to see Dr. Regan he said to have a facet block on my right side, which I did and it didnt provide any relief. I had a rhizotomy in December which helped, but only lasted for a few months. I had another rhizotomy last week on my right side since the facet block didnt work, but it has yet to provide any relief. The doctor who did the rhizotomy said that it might not help because my pain is all "mechanical."

So now to the bad news update. I saw Dr. Lanman and Dr. Regan in the past two weeks. Both have said that there is really nothing left that I can do besides having the disc removed. Basically, I am going to have the disc removed and have a fusion. Dr. Lanman wanted to also go through my back and cut out the bad joints and put in a cage and screws. Dr. Regan didn't think that I should do that in addition to having the disc removed and a fusion. Instead, he recommeded a less invasive surgery that entails taking out the disc, fusing the spine, and drilling four holes in my back to put in the screws and the rods.

I am going to have the surgery at the end of May once finals are over with Dr. Regan. It's the least invasive and the most effective way of treating this problem. I've come to the point where I have to have it removed because I can't deal with being in this constant state of pain where every day I'm at an eight or nine out of a pain scale of 10. I think that if I waited until law school is over I'd probably have a break down, and that's the last thing that I want.

I never thought that I'd be back in this situation... that my back has completely taken control of my life, where I have no life except for dealing with my back and trying to do the best that I can in my classes. I never thought that almost three years after my surgery I'd have to have the disc removed. But life, as we all know, throws us many obstacles that we have to face head on and deal with. But overall, I'm glad that I'm going to have it taken out because this is really the only way that I wont be in this much pain.

Only three other patients out of around 108 from the study that I was in had to have revisions/removal. I guess I'm part of the lucky .04%!

I hope that my experience can be a learning experience for those who are thinking of having ADR, or are in a constant state of pain and have trouble remaining positive and not let frustration and anger consume them. It's all about never giving up - never give up on hope that there will be an answer, that there will be a solution, and that one day the pain will stop.

I hope that those who have had the Charite disc have not or will not have to deal with what I've gone through. i don't wish this upon my worst enemy. But it has made me have a clear and true perspective on life. I hope one day we will all be pain free!
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
10/04-present new pain from facet joints caused by Charite; 10 facet blocks
12/06 rhizotomy left side
3/07 rhizotomy right side
5/10/2007 Charite removed, anterior IF, posterior instrumentation
180 mg MS-contin; Oxycodone; 16 mg Zanaflex