View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Default re surgery

Hi Sonata,
I was contemplating lumbar surgery for so long (ADR 2 level, then hybrid at 2 levels) I am not a candidate for it anymore because of condition of facets. At least that's what I've been told here in the US. And my pain levels aren't nearly what they used to be however because of my own exprience w/failed surgery and the aftermath (long/difficult/terribly painful) I was frightened to have more lumbar surgery. At least while I felt I was "feeling" better. My MRIs and xrays/CT scans don't look better except for autofusion at L5S1 which may be what's helped me to feel better.

Ok long winded that was~ I've had cervical probs now for nearly 12 years I think. Starting off a lot like my lumbar and at this time I believe I only have one bulging disc at C5/6 (last MRI several years ago) though DDD at 3 levels and osteophytes. When my neck really acts up I think if ADR were an option I'd like to go for it while able. I hear that ADR on cervical generally yields better results than lumbar although I'm sure it's case dependent as well.

I'm afraid of fusion in any part of my body no matter how well anyone else does with it however if I "had to" go there I suppose I would. Again I guess it's all case dependent.

I can tell you from my own exprience that failed back surgery is a difficult pill to swallow. Especially when you go in sorta Ok and come out pretty terrible. It's hard to deal with the drastic changes and regret, anger, bitterness, and a bunch of other feelings are pretty normal I think.

But no one forces us to sign the consents and do the surgery so that is a choice we make on our own (unless it's part of an emergency surgery). Not that this excuses a bad surgeon, a drunk/hungover surgeon, a surgeon that shouldn't be cutting, bad surgical technique or just ignoring a patient because surgery failed.

So much of lumbar spine surgery has always seemed like "luck" to me but if one can get opinions from surgeons that are extremely reputable and make a well researched decision based on the persons individual case hopefully things would work out.. that's seems to be the best we can do.

So I'd say not to give up on checking out your options and going with whatever and whomever you yourself feel best about having a future surgery with be it fusion or ADR. Good luck with that. I hope I may make the same choice for myself when it's time. Reading about the terrible failures can be a showstopper but then again look at the incredibly good outcomes and/or "doing better" outcomes as well. I'm trying to myself.

Last edited by Maria; 02-14-2011 at 01:42 PM.