View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 05:04 PM

Default fusion vs adr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim77xlh View Post
I've been told that I need a 3 level cervical fusion and told I need to do it as soon as possible to avoid potential permanent nerve damage, and not regain current lost use of my left arm. I was surprised to see Mark's post about sometimes needing fusion instead of ADR. When is this the case? From what I've read, it seems that ADR is always preferable. My surgeon is "annoyed" that I cancelled the fusion surgery scheduled for September 7th and just gave me a hard sell this morning in his office. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Jim
i guess it depends on what is the need for the surgery. if you have ddd then fusion will most likely not help. it may lead to more ddd because of the stress. if it is from an injury fusion may be better. not every case is the same as we all know. wolfs law states that the stress from the fusion can lead to other levels going out later. i am having sever issues. i had 2 level fusion with bone plate and screws then peek cage at another level. now my levels above and below thatare shot. i am having sharp stinging pain in my hands and now face pain from the stress on my cranial nerves. my c 2/3 is nto supporting my head very well.