View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Administrator

I've been negligent in not posting for a while. Some of you have seen me eluding to these results on other posts. It needs to be here so my story is complete.

Above, you’ve read about the very targeted and methodical approach to identifying pain generators. I’m very happy with the process and still think there is no better way for me to be proceeding; carefully, slowly, not submitting to anything big; or even just large panels of ablations. Small changes following accurate identification of pain generators.

It’s frustrating because the pain I experienced on injection, and the relief I felt seems to be 100% condordant with the pain I feel. Knowing what I know now, I would still make the same decisions in a similar situation.

While I experienced significant relief with these ablations, I still have my number one problem! I am getting by with less meds and experience less pain (for the activity level I sustain), I still have the #1 problem. When I do any “arms in front of me” activities, after a while I get severe pain that puts me down. I have to lie down for a long time. After a while, I can get up, but cannot sit at my computer, wash dishes, etc…

With regards to work time possible, I’m still in the same boat. I’m enjoying more and am more active with less meds, but I still can’t function normally with these types of activities.

Dale asked (on another thread), what is the next step? I’m afraid I know the answer, but it’s not a good one. I have some severely degenerated facets in my very low t-spine, but I think they are too low to be involved here. I also have a herniated T7-8, which is right in the area we are discussing. I have a HUGE amount of room around the spinal cord, so every surgeon who’s looked at it does not think this is a problem. However, just because the spinal cord compression is not significant, that doesn’t mean that the disc itself is not a serious pain generator. IMHO, the next step is discography. However, I am of the opinion that if you are not prepared to act on the results, why do the test? Positive discography would indicate fusion. I’m not sure I’d submit to a fusion at this level. Thoracic fusions are very tough to consider. I did present my case (just over a year ago) to Dr. Pimenta. He’s the top dog with the thoracic XLIF procedures. His advice was to “stay away from spine surgeons!” Perhaps with the additional investigation, he’d more seriously consider my case. I’ll see.

I’m going to try to adjust my lifestyle/work habits to see if I can function better working in small snippets of time. It’s tough, because I actually feel pretty good at times and the hours go by without me realizing it (until it’s too late.)

I will probably go back to Germany in mid March… I’ll make a decision about heading back to Bonn for thoracic discography (or perhaps Bertagnol for that) in a few weeks.

I’ll keep you posted. All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org