View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 04:34 PM

Default New kid on the block

I hope I'm posting this in the right place, if not, I apologize in advance.

Greetings from Texas. My name is "J". I have spent the approximately the last month reading threads on here as well as others as they may or may not relate to my current situation. It's unfortunate that we need to be here, but I'm grateful that this forum exists, as I have found it to be very informative. I’m a 43 year old male that has spent the last 17 years with low back pain. I have done physical therapy, chiropractic therapy, massage therapy, pain management, injections, I guess much of what most people do before moving to more aggressive options. I’ve had countless xrays, which are always inconclusive. An MRI in 2000 or 2001 showed mild buldging in the discs in my lower back.

I retired from the U.S. Navy in Dec. 2007, and fortunately for the last 10 years I was in supervisory/management positions that allowed me to work at a desk and live with the problem as it progressed. Unfortunately, it has progressed to state of misery, where I’m unable to do even the easiest tasks. My final breaking point was when I took out the trash and unloaded the dishwasher and had to lay in bed for 1 ˝ days. Please bear with me as I attempt to be thorough, yet short and to the point. In 2008 at the advice of a friend I went to the Texas Back Institute. Xrays once again inconclusive, but the Dr. ordered an MRI. When I went for the MRI results the Dr had told me at that point that surgery was an option. However, he wanted to avoid that and would prefer more physical therapy. The thought of surgery scared the daylights out of me, so I agreed with him 100%. So, some more PT, and chiropractors, which did give short term relief. But, once again, at the first part of this year I reached my breaking point and returned to TBI for follow-up and potentially more aggressive treatment. Xrays, well we know what they are going to tell us, but I guess too much is better than not enough. However, the MRI this time showed worsening in as I now know to be the L4/5, L5/S1 discs. It was explained to me that there is a procedure called a Disco-gram that could be more exacting in determine if they were truly the culprits of my pain. Me being the silly person that I am told the doctor I could get up and dance right then and there and tell him that it hurt. He looked at me oddly, and I said you know “Disco-gram”, like a singing telegram, but I wouldn’t charge him. I was told honestly, that it was not a fun procedure. The way I seen it, no pain is fun, but if it is useful, then let’s do it. When I got home I read as much as I could about a Discogram, to almost scare myself to death. Most of what I read was horrifying experiences.

At any rate, I went through with it. Fortunately, although not something I would prefer to do again, my experience wasn’t as bad as I had read. The first disc that was pressurized caused no pain. The second on the other hand OMG, and the same for the third. As soon as I had my out of body experience from that pain the Dr putting the dye in my discs, said “That should be enough”. I thought that was pretty nice of him. Thank goodness there were only 2 discs that are gnawing on me like gremlins with sharp teeth and big hammers. I had to travel to a different location for the CT scan, but was medicated well enough that it wasn’t too bad. Blah, blah, blah. I must add that I was as hungry as a hostage, so my wife dropped me off and went and got me some food. When I returned to see the Dr at TBI for the results, he was very very thorough. He spent a lot of time explaining everything in terms that I was able to relate to. He drew pictures to give me a visual understanding. The tests also indicated subluxation above the damaged discs. He explained my options. 1. Was a replacement disc at L4/5 and fusion at L5/S1. 2. Was fusion in both. The downfall with option 2 was less flexibility, but I would still be able to bend and touch the floor. I don’t know much about backs or the surgery that may be done, so I asked for his opinion as to which would be the better option. I have to say, that I have a great deal of confidence and respect for the Dr. He said that for my situation option 2 would be best. He explained why, it got a little technical at that point, but again I have full confidence in his ability and trust that he would not guide me in the wrong direction on this. Well, I have scheduled to have the L4/5, L5/S1 fusion surgery be performed on the 26th of April. I’m nervous, yet anxious and excited to get it done. I’ve come to the determination that the potential results outweigh the risks. I must add that my friend that advised me to go to TBI in 2008 had surgery on 26 December 2008 and played a round of golf less than 6 months later. He currently lives pain free with the exception of some stiffness/soreness on occasion. He is 20 years older than I, not that it matters, but told me on Friday that I without question will not regret my decision.

The purpose of this post, is to get some other advice/opinions/words of wisdom, etc. etc. etc. from people that have lived through the hell of back pain and have had surgery. In closing I wanted to mention one story that has been inspirational if you will, and that is Kathy. I want to say congratulations to you for your success, and more importantly congratulations to you and your family on the soon to be new addition of a son to your already beautiful family. It is simply AWESOME that you have been through what you have and are now able to have another child.

Thank you all for allowing me to ramble on, and I look forward to hearing what you have to say, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

“J”