View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 PM

Default re fusion at L4 and ADR at L5S1

I had thought the same as others are stating here re fusing L4 and ADR at L5S1 which supposedly has less motion/movement so usually if hybrid is suggested it seems to be the other way around but don't know what your facets look like or other surrouding structures at those levels however you're pretty young so would imagine things should look much better on you than many of us that have been offered ADR at L4 and L5 S1 or hybrid surgery w/ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1.

Now that being said I'm not a doctor either but have had spine problems since I was 28 and am 57 now. Have had 2 discectomies (L4 and L5S1). Have had doctors recommend 3 level fusion at L3,L4, and L5 S1.

Have had 2 level ADR recommended then when didn't to that and a few years passed my facets were a factor to not recommend ADR at L5S1 as well as no FDA approval for 2 level ADRs here in US yet.

Anyway about 6 opinions later and pretty much everyone was agreeing I didn't do anything more however Mark was of great help to me and I can't recommend at least talking to him enough. Check out the website Dale has posted.

Not trying to push you into anything however really want a young person like you to make as good a decision as you're able with surgeons that really know the newer technology and with the experience so that they can offer you what they think will really work for you vs. the only thing they might know how to do well.

And again.. not trying to nag you. Just wish things had been different when I was in my 20's and even 30's and there had been as much exchange of information available as well as access to it.