View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 04:15 PM

Default re surgery

That is a question I cannot answer however can you walk on your toes, heels, squat, stand on one foot, and all that jazz (neuro exam). Still can't answer your surgical question. Do you have good muscle tone still and function of your extremities, no drop foot? Chances are you're still a surgical candidate. Can it fix your numbness? Good question for the surgeons.

I had numbness w/my rt. foot first few toes (great toe,one next to it) and creeping up my leg. Not severe numbness but when I would drive it was scary because I couldn't feel my foot on the pedal pushing down so would hold my pants leg and move leg up and down. Practically stopped driving for a year or two. Dr. said I had "compression" related numbness from my L5S1 narrowing/bulge but not impinging on nerve or anything on MRI. At that time when I asked.. will surgery help this.. he said "It might and it might not" so I waited. I got more surgical opinions. I was considering ADR at 2 levels then hybrid surgery (ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1). I did neither.

Now it's about 7 -10 years later and I no longer have the numbness nor the degree of back pain as before (L5S1 autofused but my original injury was nearly 30 years ago).

Why don't you get a few more opinions/consultations. If you're still able to use your extremity and function is the same hopefully things are still Ok. That's not to say "wait longer" or "have surgery" it's just to say get qualifed opinions that matter.