View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 03:18 AM

Default New Kid on the block

Well, I have my confirmed surgery date, 26 April. My other second/3rd opinnions all say the same. I have been trying to prep physically as much as possible. Working on not smoking. 3 packs a day and now I'm 1/4 pack or less a day. Trying to get my legs and upper body ready for the change, at least as much as possible. My sick mind tells me to do things that don't make sense. Endure pain now and strengthen unused muscles in order for hopefully an easier recovery.

I have been trying to be very positive going into this, and today I finally got hit with a few tons of brick. Afraid this may take me back to the drawing board.

Some years back I was diagnosed with early stages of osteoporosis. Last year severe bone infarct in both knees. Today my latest blood test shows a vitamin D deficiency significant enough for the Dr to prescribe vitamin D at levels that can't be purchased over the counter. Actually, the nurse said the Dr is very concerned.

The doctor performing the surgery did mention the possibility of an external bone similator. I believe that I shared my bone problems with the Dr, but maybe I didn't because I didn't think of any kind of relation. CRAP! 2 Level fusion. Hmmmmm. I'm 98 percent sure that they have 100 percent of my medical history.

I'm sure that all will be fine. I'm pretty nervous about the surgery, but very concerned about the bone probs I have. Is it possible for me to get a fusion? My first thought is yes, however there is reality.

I'm pretty disconnected from most of my family. Both parents deceased 20 years ago. Don't care much for my sisters. Easy family history on my fathers side. Working on my mothers side now, and hopefully be able to provide that to the Dr on Friday.

Sorry if I'm rambling. Guess I needed to vent.