View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 AM

Default My PTP

My case has always been WC re my low back (since early 80's). It wasn't such a struggle then to get things authorized as it is now but it wasn't easy either. Now it's nearly impossible.

My PTP has been the same Orthopedic Spine Surgeon since '98. He hasn't done any spine surgery on me although I had picked him to manage my care and was considering having surgery done w/him but then sought other opinions.

Before him I had a medical doctor as my PTP who referred me to the Neurosurgeon who did my first discectomy. I think the only reason I decided to utlilize someone else was distance in terms of driving.

I was told that PTP and surgeon aren't usually the same person because the surgeon stops treating at a certain point (after releasing one from care) and the PTP continues to manage your care. Whether that still holds true or not I don't know however I have used the OSS as my PTP to order my ESIs, refer me to PM, and overall do the paperwork involved in my WC case (keep it straight). I didn't want to switch doctors as WC is such a pain in the arse it's good to have at least one doctor that knew my case and legalities involved. Don't get someone who isn't familiar w/WC as they won't know how to write the reports and can screw things up further for you.

I saw a really good Neurosurgeon for consultation in San Diego and also several extremely reputable Orthopedic Spine surgeons in the LA area for opinions. My PTP is in the city I live in. I don't know if there have been legislative changes re picking PTPs, how easy it is to switch PTPs and all that. It's best to familiarize yourself with the WC legislation in your state.

Last edited by Maria; 03-31-2011 at 06:18 AM.