View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 AM

Default XLIF for T6-T7 herniation

I'm an athletic man in my early 40's.

I experienced mid-back back pain and radial neuropathy down my legs for about 8 years, culminating in an acute event (popping sound while doing a chin-up) in March of 2010. I was diagnosed with a herniation at T6-T7 that was impinging slightly, but noticeably, on the spinal cord, as well as a severe herniation at C3-C4 (which I'd known about since about 2000)

Dr. Pennings of the Spine Center, UMass Memorial Hospital, Worcester, MA, USA first did an ACDF with a cage on the C3-C4 joint in July 2010. The committee at this teaching hospital felt that a) the C3-C4 degeneration was life-threatening and b) might also address the lower-body neuropathy, so they did this one first.

The ACDF addressed the neuropathy in my arms and upper body, but did not change the symptoms in my lower torso and legs (weakness, lack of coordination, numbness/heat).

11 days ago I finally had XLIF surgery to address T6-T7. It seems to have improved my symptoms, but I'm still feeling things out a bit. The surgery was done through an 8.5cm (3.25 inch) incision on my right side. Dr. Pennings cut a section out of a rib and had the anesthesiologist partially deflate my right lung to reduce the possibility of injuring it as he worked toward the spine. He cut some bone away for access (don't exactly know this detail) and then cut away the offending part of of the disc, thereby decompressing the spinal cord.

Surgery took about 4 hours in total. My lung reinflated successfully with the help of a negative pressure chest tube inserted into the pleural space for about 5 hours post-op, and I went home the following day due to the benefits of this minimally-invasive technique. Per Dr. Pennings, his colleagues were amazed that I didn't need to spend several days in the ICU, much less get discharged the following day! I'm fortunate to be able to work from home, so my total time out of work was 3 business days.

I hadn't needed any narcotics following the ACDF last year (just acetaminophen), but this time has been different. The cut rib and the pain of the lung having reinflated into its usual space has been significant. It was about 8 days post-op before I could go through the night without medication and then another couple of days before I could sleep through the night without waking. The WORST is when I cough or sneeze. The pain literally brings me to my knees.

I understand this is not unusual given the inevitable damage to the nerves that run along the ribs, but I'm hopeful that it will fade with time (it sometimes doesn't!!) The consulting thoracic surgeon also said that the rib will/should grow back together and reconnect... I'm still trying to get details on how best to encourage this. I expect to be back on my motorbike and back on the basketball court by the first week in May!