View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 12:25 AM

Default Update and further questions

I just want to say thanks again for pointing me in the right direction! I honestly don't know how my life may have turned out if I hadn't found this forum.

I have canceled both surgeries planned for this summer. I have an appointment with a doctor near Toronto for May 13th. I called and spoke with his secretary, and he has apparently done 2 level ADRs before, and has done over 130 ADR surgeries. I am hopeful he is up to my standards and can give me the surgery I need. It would be really convenient as he is only 20mins from my home!

I have also been given referrals to two doctors in Quebec, based on the information given to me by a member here. They are both apparently excellent doctors and have done many ADR surgeries before. Not sure yet when those appointments will be however.

I've discussed this issue in great detail with my parents, and they are willing to pay to go to Germany to see Dr. B if necessary. They would rather see me have the surgery I need with someone who has results to back it up than someone under-experienced here. At this point I will not accept anything less than a 2 level ADR. Luckily for us now, the Canadian dollar is very high and the Euro is low (comparatively speaking), so this summer would be a good time to go if that is what had to happen.

I do have a few questions though that don't pertain to now but for my future. I'm only 23 and do eventually plan to have a family. I was told a long time ago by a doctor that low back pain and and injuries made it more difficult to get pregnant later on. Is this true?
I was also wondering if having the ADR surgery (or a fusion for that matter) would create any possible pregnancy complications down the road, whether it be from scar tissue, the device itself, or if someone with terrible low back pain can handle carrying a child?

I have no intentions of doing anything soon, but I would like to know what I may face if and when I decide to start a family.

Thanks

Christina
2010 L4/L5 herniation
2011 awaiting surgery of some sort