View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Default Herpes Vaccine pre op

Maybe this won't apply to anyone here but I thought I'd offer it up since I never expected to get this entity post eye surgery~ shingles. Yep. It's a mild case though near my left eye on left side, nasolabial area, and inside my nose. Problems it can cause potentially is blindness involving retina/cornea and also brain encephalopathy though I've been told this is rare (although I've had a h/a every day since outbreak and neck discomfort too).

Supposedly Shingles occurs if one has already had chickenpox and usually ages 50 and older however it can happen to anyone that's had chickenpox and is undergoing physiological/emotional stress. I am in my late 50's and wished my doctor had mentioned it to me although I don't think that's routinely done much (I should have thought of it myself).

It's a pain in the arse (in my case the face) and if it were to occur in an area of where I'd had back surgery I'd not be please either although at least I wouldn't be worried about the things I am now.

So just thinking maybe it's another pre surgical thing one might want to consider asking your doctor about. I hear the vaccine is around $200 and I would have gladly paid this if I had even considered it as a possibility.

I just wasn't thinking as I have been thru quite a bit of emotional stress since my father passed away in Dec. and I had to physically take care of doing everything w/his home as well as legally.