View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Does anyone one no anybody who has healed an annular Tear?

>> Yes. Read AnnC story on GPN webpage. SED failed at L4-5, but was completely successful at L5-S1. Disc held full pressure with no pain.

Haven't all herniation's at one time begun as an Annular tear and if so once they become herniation's there are more surgical options?

>> As the disc breaks down the annulus becomes compromised. It bulges and ultimately tears. I don't understand the rest of this question.

From reading "Medical WEB sites" all Dr.s are quoted as saying that the only success with Tears is a Fusion or ADR. This assumes the Disk has lost considerable height. Outcomes with a disk with good height are not as positive. (Any thoughts).

>> I would think that better height would mean better success.... it would just be a less severely degenerated place to start from... a less severe problem. The better off you are before your surgery, the more likely success is. I would think that a better situation would be a better candidate for SED or other MISS options. I don't know a surgeon who would recommend fusion or ADR in a disc that is a good candiate for a simple discectomy.

What surgical procedures are available for Central Tears or Central Herniation's?

>> The more centrally located, the tougher it is to consider MISS. My wife's herniation was so severe and very centrally located that even the top MISS surgeons in the US would not have done her discectomy endoscopically. Tom Hoogland did and excellent job with an endo discectomy that was very successful. (Unfortunatly, she was not lucky enough and reherniated in 3 months.)

Are tears that radiate more to the leg and less at the back a clue for anything?

>> Better candidate for discectomy. They are good at leg pain but not for discogenic LBP. (Except SED or other thermal annuloplasty procedures.)

Thanks in advance and I hope Mark will chime in.

>> Your welcome!!! Chiming done!
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org