View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 11:22 PM

Default Annular tears

I had the fusion because my disc was what some call as chemically sensitive. It took me years to get a proper diagnosis. My range of motion isnt so much an issue, except when parking the car. The recovery has tough but nothing like all the pain I had endured for so many years. I dont think Ill ever be normal, I just dont have the excruciating burning, tickling and other bizzarre nerve problems that came with a chemically sensitive disc. Now when I have problems I have deep spasms. Im having a rough bout right now and am on a round of prednisone but I know its stress related. Its the second time since my fusion this has happened. Other than this, the last year I was hiking, doing things I never thought I would do again. Im on half the medication. I dont regret my surgery, but its certainly no fix all. I waited over ten years hoping my tears would get better but I kept reinjuring them. Correct me if Im wrong but I dont know there is a blood supply that goes to the area to heal a tear.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.