View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 09:35 PM

Default hmm

What I wonder about is the case that has good disc height and perhaps could have endoscopic discectomy with annuloplasty and the chance to be well with a rather minor surgery compared to something more involved even in the scope of discectomies. I realize there are probably few skilled surgeons performing this surgery and maybe few patients that fit the criteria for it however when I hear the word fusion first I tend to think "nuh uh."

Sometimes people do well for a while with discectomy vs. skipping to a fusion which might sooner set them up for adjacent level problems (even tho I think a discectomy might as well). Sometimes fusion is probably the best option (maybe ADR?)...

I really believe that sometimes we just cannot tell what will happen until it happens so it's difficult to predict which surgery is going to bring about the problems sooner. Maybe a fusion even at less mobile L5S1 would bring about it's own set a probs for a person even if it's thought to be the better surgical option. Mabye an ADR as well.

If one has enough time to get the surgical consults and go with whomever he or she thinks makes the most sense to them and gives them the best realistic opportunity for outcome then go with whomever that is and hopefully the consensus might lean towards that direction although definately not always.

What I don't like or think works are multi level discectomies at the same time. One level perhaps is Ok. Hopefully the level above doesn't have prob then gain doesn't mean they wont develop and again I'm sure much depends on surgical technique/skill plus patient's aiblity to recoup/healing abilities). I had one at L5S1 and another one (different technique) several years later at L4.

BTW I'm glad I haven't had a fusion yet and did have discectomies vs. multi level fusion. It gave my body a chance to autofuse at L5S1. Long wait tho glad I did.

Last edited by Maria; 05-07-2011 at 12:15 AM.