View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hi Everyone!

I am 47, computer programmer. My bad back is because of sitting long hours behind computer. I have lost lots of job opportunities, my PhD after 4 years of study, as well as my wife because of back pain, in the past years.

I was diagnosed with annular disk tear and DDD at L4/L5 in 2006. I had mild back pain and buttock pain at that time, when sitting.

My doctor referred me to physical therapist and the PT managed to destroy my back. After therapy, I was in bed for the next 6 months, because of pain. I had also tingling in my legs and numbness in my feet .

After recovery I was not able to sit even a minute. When I sit I have burning and tingling on the back side of my both legs, from my back to my knees. I gave up sitting and tried to do my daily work standing or laying down on my stomach (this was a bad decision).

Right now I have mild back and left buttock pain and extreme burning sensation on my feet sole when standing or walking. Any movement is also painful.

Dr. Howard Tung in San Diego, wanted to fuse my disc, which I refused.

I do back exercise , including Plank, Cat-Camel and Medex machine to strengthen my back muscles. They don't alleviate the pain, but I am hoping exercise prevents herniation of other discs and preventing the L4/L5 to become worse.

In my current job, I have some freedom. I can lay down in my office, behind close door, or sometimes work from home, while I am in bed. My employer does not know much about this. I pretend I am okay.

I am very limited and haven't been further than 5 miles vicinity of my home for the past few years. I drive short distances to work/grocery. It is very painful, but I have no other choice. If I need to see a doctor, I hire someone to drive me.

I have difficult sleeping at night, because all sleeping positions are painful. I put pillows around myself and sleep in 45 degree position; between sleeping on my side and sleeping on my back.

Sleeping and sitting problems aside, my biggest problem is burning sensation on the bottom of my feet.

New development: Today I developed a new buttock pain, which I did not have before.
i dont have buttock pain...but i have so strong pain in low back...caused by annular tear..
i will go to selective endoscopic discectomy with thermal annuloplasty,suposed to heal annular tear and shrink the disc...