View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 01:53 AM

Default re the shoe thingy

Judy,
I think I bought some men's Teva's after my bunion surgery post op shoe came off as I had nothing that my poor big swollen painful toe would fit into.. same with the surgerized hammertoes tho by then I had plenty of Teva's as they worked out really well since that top strap across the toes has Velcro and can be made to open up pretty much for sore and/or bandaged toes.

I had to use crutches in my apt. to go to the bathroom, kitchen and anywhere else I wanted to get to tho that very first week after my bunion surgery I had never expected so much pain.. when I just put my foot down in a dependent manner ~ OMG.. the pain from the swelling and I guess blood flow to that area nearly made me faint!!!!

The hammertoe surgery wasn't nearly as bad but then again it was bad enough as I had all four toes cut down at the same time. Again, swelling/pain etc. And the good thing was I could drive as that was my left foot. After the bunion surgery I was advised not to bear weight too quickly however (like a few weeks) because the surgerized area needed to heal w/o weight on it or forced into a position it shouldn't go in.

I wasn't given anything extra for pain because of my pain medication being stronger than anything the podiatrist would have prescribed. I have to admit I had a few glasses of wine when the gimping got to my spine as that did happen after about 2 -3 weeks.

If you have someone around to help you out such as fixing meals and doing dishes and so forth that would be great. If you don't have that try to have everything you'll need more or less nearby so you don't have to hobble around to get things.

I'm sure you know this as many times as you've been thru major surgeries. However you may be surprised how much the big toe can hurt if your recovery is anything like mine!

My SIL ended up wearing this incredibly heavy boot/cast thing for a month post her bunion surgery because she had 2 pins in and I'm glad I didn't wear that as it would have really killed my low too much to use that.

In my toes that had surgery I have the ability to bend them at the remaining joint. The other joint seems to have fused.

Good luck w/ all the prep and everything. I know when I had to start walking on the outter side of my foot to avoid pain it was time for surgery!

Last edited by Maria; 06-12-2011 at 08:38 AM.