View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 05:25 PM

Jarrod after reading your last post , i was going to say just what Dale said. it is so true. I have been dealing with undiagnosed medical stuff for like 8 years and back about 7 ago i got on antidepressants. It was the best thing i ever did for myself. I am still on them and don't really care anymore that i am. I did just about shut everyone out. I came home from work, went to my bedroom and closed the door and i have 4 kids!

Now i have been battling spine pain in all 3 areas and by the way i don't know the date of your surgery, but my neck fusion and osteotomy was on Jan. 7th, I am still in a neck brace and now just get twinges of pain although this was not my most painful event by any means.

I had horrible , horrible thoracic pain for a few years, had surgery finally to remove a disc, the surgery somehow damaged my phrenic nerve which controls your diaphragm muscle. So i was left and it is permanent with only 50% lung capacity. I too was extremely athletic and live just to exercise some times. That is all ruined, but i am kind of ok do to antidepressants.
In that surgery, it took a long time for the pain to go away, i think nerves remember how to aggrivate us long after they are decompressed. I think i took about 5 or 6 months for that pain to totally go away and that was from a disc.

That neck surgery was surgery #10 for me in 3 years and Monday will be #11 as my toe became totally arthritic and now that i hike instead of run the mountain trails, it became too painful to even do that. I am stubborn and going to go for one last hike today , i hope i am not limping down like last Saturday, before another period of rehab.

Almost my whole spine is fused, from C4 thru L2. is. It is all pretty recent and i know i am still not totally heeled but every new pain or twinge gets me scared a little. I can not lay on my stomach or back really , but wonder with more time if i will be able to. My bones are way too weak for me to even have been considered for an ADR and i am getting along now better than without all the fusion . so it is not so bad.

All this is so you will get some hope and some help. I just recently saw my husband became very depressed and i sent him to a psychiatrist. it took him 6 months to believe me and go , but he is back to his old self now after lying in bed for most of the previous 6 months.
by the way i am on a few antidepressants.
Please, please get help
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy