View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshobbies View Post
OK- so now we're getting to the crux of it. The truth is there are always going to be good and bad. Over the years, I've heard stories not to dissimiliar to yours. I too have been subjected to less than adaquate care at hospitals. True, some doctors have a take it or leave it attitude, that their way is the only way but there are some really good practitioners out there. We always advise someone to get other opinions and sometimes it can take several doctors to find a good fit.

Some excellent doctors also feel this way. For a surgeon, I'd rather have skill than personality but for a doctor I see more often, I do want someone who's willing to work with me. Still there are some doctors who will do what the patient wants, regardless of benefit, because they're afraid of a lawsuit.

So having said all that, you have to ask yourself, do you want only to medicate away the pain or do you want to risk surgery. For spinal surgery, there is no going back. Your spine will forever be altered. BUT - you might find yourself living with less pain and a fuller life when compared to medicating only. If your pain is relatively recent, you might be more willing to take a wait and see attitude while living in pain for a long time can take away too much from your life, which is all you want back. This is a tough decision which only you can do. You can listen to other stories, talk to various doctors, learn as much as you can which you seemingly have already done, and hope you're making the best decision for your circumstances.

As for your parents, I can only imagine the horror you experienced - and twice. I am very sorry. We all know this is not a first, nor will it be the last. Even with careful choosing, mistakes can happen. Medical care never comes with any guarantees. All we can do is pay attention and choose carefully.

Dale
Here are some facts.

American MD collectively pay 2 billion for malpractice insurance but they make an extra 400 billion from medical errors. The lie when they say they worry about getting sued. Mal-Practice lawsuits are very difficult to prove and very expensive for lawyers. Doctors lie through their teeth when they say they practice defensive medicine.

The M6 is junk but it's the best junk available next to the NeoDisk which is being touted as a miracle but the fact is the technology to created existed in 1930.

My dad went easily. He had a bleed but the doctor said he had anemia. My mother came home and found him lying on the kitchen floor.

My mother didn't have it as easy. The ativan put her in a coma and she struggled for 3 days for breath. If we could have sued we would have. Hospitals make 10 medication errors a day. The odds were against my mother and this medication error killed her. She fought hard to stay alive for us. I think she was terrified and on Dec 23rd she left us. We gave the gifts she gave us the the Salvation Army and we found a home for her dog who died a few months later of a broken heart.

My best friend went misdiagnosed for gall bladder disease and he endured 3 years of agonizing gall bladder attacks. The told him it was all in his head but anyone looking at him could tell he was sick and dying accept the doctors. They treated him like a crazy person and a drug seeker so his only relief was aspirin.

Finally I got him to the right doctor and the redid the gallbladder tests. He not only had gallstone but his gallbladder was now a dead organ in his body killing him. He made it through surgery and began a recover slightly but too much damage was done.

He started looking like a holocaust survivor. He was anorexic from the malnutrition. He had a massive stroke and died a few weeks later.

Every one of you knows a victim of a serious medical error? How many people do you know with AIDS?