View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Default I go with

Roll of the dice theory.. could come out better, could come out worse .. stay the same.. not likely tho I guess it happens.

If you know what the limitations are here in the US and are pursuing surgery and you know that there are zero guarantees w/outcome of spine surgery so you go into it hoping for better outcome basically.

A surgeon can do the surgery for which he or she is trained and perform that surgery perfectly and we can still have rotten results .. here there or anywhere with anything.

Maybe less so with one technique or type of surgery over another however I've read plenty of posts from persons that had very bad outcomes even when they used their own $ and went abroad or elsewhere. So failure re spine surgery is not only exclusive to this country and/or the limitations imposed on the medical/surgical practicing surgeons either.

I agree that our medical system absolutely is atrocious as it shouldn't really be called "healthcare" any longer rather wealthcare as you gotta have $ to pursue really good care and insurance companies and big biz is what's making the money really not the average surgeon/doctor.

Having worked in healthcare my entire career I saw many mistakes made on many levels some of which were minor, some much greater, some fatal. It pays to have a really tight system of checks and balances to catch errors rapidly enough to reverse them although some are not reversible and some are fatal.

While I agree with Judy that there are many good/excellent physicians I also think our healthcare system in the US needs a major overall and yesterday.