Thread: Methadone detox
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 06:24 PM

Maria,

Detoxing from methadone is tough. I was up to 75mg a day on a regular basis just before having ADR. Weaning off the first 80% of the medication was not bad at all - but the last 20% of it - I started to get the anxiety and restlessness/some insomnia. Then, those last 5 mg it began to get worse. Finally when I was eating crumbs of methadone that equalled close to 3 mg a day - I finally just quit cold....

Now, the entire process of doing it this way was about say 3 months. I stopped taking the methadone in October and I would say that by that by Thanksgiving I was feeling more "normal". By Christmas, I was feeling fairly well. When you finally quit this medication - days 3-5 are absolute hell....I am just being frank here. I knew this and eventually it did pass...

I have looked up the rapid detox that you mentioned - it was just too expensive for me and of course it does come with it's own risks - seizures and things of that sort. I don't know of anyone who has went through it.

Poncho's mistakes when detoxing: (a learning experience for me and I hope for others)

1) Trying to drink alcohol through it thinking it would help mask the withdrawl symptoms - It doesn't, Poncho just got drunk and sick from the alcohol - plus had a hangover and going through withdrawl. Not a wise decision!!!

2) Attempting to stop sleeping meds and anti-depressants. Lots of crying, anxiety, and an emotional rollercoaster!!! - Get through the methadone withdrawl first - Once through that - the other stuff is a piece of cake!

Last edited by Poncho; 03-29-2007 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Maria alread had the info posted