View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 04:24 AM

Question Has Facet Rhizotomy Helped Anyone?

Hi. I'm new to this forum and at 54 years of age suffered with neck pain for several years. X-rays, MRIs, and EMGs revealed deterioration and arthritis in C2 area. Surgery was not recommended and I was referred to a Pain Mgmt. facility. I had facet injections bilateral which gave short term relief but seemingly confirmed the problem area, and RF was recommended. I am 3 weeks out of facet rhizotomy and have experienced some notable side effects: Muscle spasms and cramps in back and calf (lower legs) areas. Tingling and numbness in upper leg joints. My neck feels stiff and so far that is the only difference. My pain was increased 100% following the procedure and it has diminished somewhat, but I still have as much or more of the same neck pain that I had before the procedures. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time contacting the doctor to ask questions; his staff is a single nurse that is impossible to talk to when she does manage to return a phone call. I've asked the same questions 4-5 times and gotten no answers: Is it possible the RF wasn't hot enough? Can the procedure be repeated? Are there patients that realize absolutely no relief? What is the next step? I realize that 3 weeks is still early and it may take up to 6 weeks to realize benefits but I would very much appreciate hearing from others that have experienced a rhizotomy, especially so high in the prime real estate area of C2. Best wishes to those of you who are suffering or recovering from neck or back pain and surgical procedures. Thank you for reading my story. I'm hoping to hear someone out there has had some success with RF oblation.