View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 08:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to Keano16 Send a message via Skype™ to Keano16

Important discovery by our team.

Thanks to my research and kind and friendly involvement of dr. Robert Saftic (Vertebris International Spine Hospital Croatia) and dr. Peter Hajek (Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, UK) we are on a breach of important discovery for patients suffering from chronic constipation after spinal fusion surgery.

As you may know, some studies show that smoking is slowing bone healing and obviously fusion process, and because of that some spinal surgeons advise patients to stop smoking just before spinal fusion surgery to increase chances of successful outcome of fusion process.

Under guidance of me and dr. Saftic, my mom stopped smoking in March 2010 (just before fusion surgery) and developed severe and chronic bowel constipation. Only solution to get bowel out was irrigation or enema device.

After tons of tests (and I really mean tons!) with neurosurgeons, neurologists, orthopedists, anesthesiologists, radiologists, internists we came to dead end - NO SOLUTION FOR CHRONIC CONSTIPATION which we though is related to spinal fusion.

Few days ago, I've found two studies (one from French group, one from UK group) which state that in 1 of 11 patients (based on 1000 from that study) can develop sever bowel constipation following stopping smoking. After finding this study, I bought my mom Nicorette gums and box of cigarettes and after 2 days (with just one morning cigarette) she produced bowel movement and first feeling of her intestines in past year and a half.

Maybe this will be helpful to some of you in future!

2005 - 2012: Rich personal experience with spinal disorders and various treatments (surgical, therapeutic, diagnostic)
Co-Founder: Vertebris Internationl Spine Hospital
Founder: Spinoteka - Society for Spine Diseases