View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 01:44 AM

I guess my issue is that I never saw this coming. I was sure it was just some weakened muscles. I have done everything they have told me to do and it had worked fairly well. Even my PT said she was 95% sure it was not disc related since I don't have any ratiating pain (I did in 09). Second PT concurred. The pain is more arthritic in nature and it does not hurt all the time. It only hurts when I do certain things...ok that list seems to be growing, but I can sit at my desk all day. I can walk all day.

I ran back to my family doc and he is nudging me towards accepting that surgery is likely going to be necessary (he really is wonderful). At present I am churning on all of it and am in a holding pattern to see if it is going to get better or not if I continue with exercise and PT.

The ortho guy I saw told me my surgical options and said he has done some disc replacement and of course has done hundreds of fusions. He said replacement has quicker healing time...but then said that if it is in fact already fusing on its own (it is hazy around one area) that then they would still have to do the fusion. He told me to research on the internet and let him know what I want. My family doc told me he knows nothing about replacement but if I go that route to get it done someplace that does them a lot and suggested Mayo. He said he has seen excellent and full recovery with fusions.

The idea of surgery makes me tune out the pain more. I am not a believer in quick fixes and it just seems like every person I know who has had surgery once has had to have it again and again and again.

I also keep reading that replacement at L5-S1 is the most contraindicated and that with bone on bone (keep in mind ALL my other discs are perfectly fine) that decompressing to make room for the faux disc can cause issues elsewhere.

I am fit. I find pain to be an excelent motivator. I do not have any nerve issues presently and have not since the blow out in 2009. Should I bite the inevitable bullet and get it over with or should I wait and get an x-ray every few months for a while and see if it escalates??

I am a task master and I just get things taken care of and not knowing what to do is driving me mad. Should I get a second opinion from a different ortho surgeon??

Thanks for the advise.