View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 11:50 PM

Default re work related

JB,
You have to be careful when it comes to WC and what you do re surgery because if it's something not authorized by WC if you have future medical benefits you could stand to lose them possibly proceeding without their authorization altho that's a decision one has to make for self.

Also your PPO insurance if anything like mine might investigate the claim if it's after the fact and deny payment (even if previously authorized).

I think there is a way that PPO insurance can pay for something that is WC but it has to be with full understanding and knowledge of what's going on and an authorization prior to surgery regarding payment (something you could take into court if PPO decides to turn around and deny payment).

Medicare in my case makes me sign a form every so often stating my low back is covered under another policy (WC) so they don't get stuck with any diagnostics/treatment related to my low back. On that note billing for my cervical spine even has been investigated altho I have never had a WC case involving my cervical or thoracic spine.

It may depend on what state you're in as to the WC legislation and what the carrier is willing to agree to though I'd not do anything w/o knowing what you're risking (if anything).

I did pay for a consultation w/Dr.Regan just to get his opinion even tho he knew I wasn't going to be able to utilize him for surgery (re WC) and also paid for overseas consultation w/Dr.Bertagnoli via Mark's service (my first consultation re ADR that helped me forge ahead w/others here in the states via WC system).

In my own case when it came to my 3rd spine surgery (which I didn't have) WC had advised me if I proceeded with anything they didn't recommend/authorize and if I went out of the country I would forfeit my future medical benefits and everything would be terminated at that point with regard to my low back being covered anymore thru WC and of course surgery abroad would not be paid for even tho at the time it would have cost WC one third less than it would have here in the states!

I didn't have the $ for the surgery no way no how and didn't really feel what I was offered in the US would have been comprehensive enough (maybe it would have tho I didn't feel that way) so took my time and did nothing. As it turned out in my own case an OK thing do as my L5S1 autofused though this was after nearly 30 years from original injury (far longer than most people want to wait and nor would have I if my injuries were more recent).

Good luck. Pain is tough though so is the decision about what to do about it surgically so if you've the time make a well thought out well researched decision and hopefully you won't have "buyers remorse" re any new parts (or it will be less likely)!

Last edited by Maria; 08-13-2011 at 12:03 AM.