View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Default update

Hi everyone
just wanted to give an update.it has been over a year since my surgery in Germany with dr Zeegers.I now have ankle reflexes.my left ankle is weak and i wear a support when i am out walking.I can feel my calves-(r calf-75%-left calf -50%)and i can feel more of my feet although the l foot is still ultra sensitive.I have no feeling in the back of my upper legs to the waist.still have no bladder or bowel control.i empty my bladder via a catheter
every 4 hours and treat my bowels regularly.i wear attends diapers(which now look like underwear).this is the most difficult part.
This part is hard to explain but i have terrible nerve pains down the backs of my legs into my feet even though the skin has no feeling.my doctor said she thinks the nerves are trying to reconnect.nerve repair happens very slowly and life happens very quickly, so no wonder we have no patience(lol).I try to get out and walk as much as i can.i now have a dog and he is great company and a reason to get outside.some days i am so tired from the neurontin(2800 mg/d)that i can hardly function so on the days i have some spunk i get going.The most positive thing to come out of this is that i have no back pain and that is so huge.I could not have dealt with that any longer.i take no narcotics
and am happy about that as well.

i remain positive and hope for more improvements.I am realistic enough to know that i may never recover fully but really hoping the bowel recovers if nothing else!
hoping you all the best and will try to keep you posted.thank you for you interest and your support
kelly