View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 09:56 PM

Default re work

Judy,
I think you mentioned you were a teacher previously? What about private tutoring under the table (didn't write that last part)at home?

This way you can control your hours and your setting.

I know someone that does this and does Ok for herself while she's pursuing further higher education.

Just a thought..

The last job I worked I had a modified station and put a thick foam mat underneath my feet and stood most of the day at my station. It was still grueling when having a bad day but I could also sit if I wanted... still the stress of a schedule that I had to adhere to was too much for my poor weak spine.

I also was allowed to work at home writing policies, procedures, protocols, orientation and other manuals for depts. for my place of employment (managed care company) several days/week and that's how I managed to work the last 5 years of my career (several days/week as Advice Nurse/Triage and several days/week writing).

What I found writing at home though was my neck was compromised even when accomodating my low back in reclining sort of chair with my knees propped and such. I wasn't really able to accomodate my cervical spine well enough while still being able to work "all day" as Dale mentioned. Standing was far better for me but again it was tiring re my spine even tho I would lie down and didn't give me quite enough rest. Actually I worked longer and harder at home it seemed as I would work longer hours!

Last edited by Maria; 09-19-2011 at 10:03 PM.