View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Default re migraine med

Dale,
I too have migraines tho not so badly as previously. They started when I was 47.

The ones that are truly terrible which now are very few and far in between require pitch black, no sound, no movement .. nothing and about 3 Fioricets.

The ones that are bordering on being there and maybe not to bad I can take one Fioricet and now after nearly 10 years with this medication I will also once in a great while go out and do whatever I planned on doing whether it be walking or driving there. Of course the driving is only if I feel up to it and am not effected by the drug in a drowsy manner.

Since I usually don't drive far so far I've done Ok. If I were to allow the h/a to progress and become quite problematic I can get photophobic, confused, dizzy feeling, forgetful, slurred speech, blurred vision, and sounds become amplified and even painful to hear.

So sometimes the migraines do vary in terms of how bad they are or how badly they progress and early intervention is best at least for me. Again I am well acquainted with my medication now after 10 years and this is far better than the abortive medication that I took in the beginning that would speed me up terribly (had to take it about when the aura stage hit). Once I took this medication during the h/a phase and was told I could have had a stroke as I developed some bad symptoms that lead my PCP to d/c me off this med (name I cannot recall at the moment).

Would it be best not to drive.. most likely as with many other drugs that are either prescription or non prescription and can cause drowsiness and/or effect the CNS or cause changes in reflexs/response re heavy machinery. Do we do it sometimes.. I do occasionally tho usually after taking the med and with a certain rest period of up to about 1-3 hours dependind on situation and of course severity of h/a and relief provided. If I still have a h/a or remnants I do not drive or even go out usually.

Last edited by Maria; 10-04-2011 at 01:57 PM.