View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 12:12 AM

Smile back surgery, medication advice, experiences horder centre. please help :-)

Hi, this is all very new for m, its so nice to find somewhere where hopefully I cant have peoples advice, talk to people that are in the same situation as me ect.
I may babble on so I do apologise. Im 23 and this is my story any replies will me much appreciated.
2007 after a year and a half of leg pain no back pain, an mri and a referral to a consultant is appeared I had a slipped disc that needed to be operated on or I would end up in a wheel chair. I also had degeneration of the disc and there were two other discs that were buldging but only slightly. After my operation I was free from pain in my legs for a few months. When the disc was removed they only took the right side of the disc out. A few months later I had another mri scan as I now had back pain and the leg pain had returned tthe other part of the disc was now also buldging. I did not have a very good experience in the hospital I had my back operation and my consultant who had done the firdt operation wanted to open me back up again and fuse my spine.
I was rrecommended to go to the horder centre in crowborough and to see a consultant called Mr Guy Selmon. It was nice to meet a consultant who was honest with me and didnt want to rush into surgery. Over the past couple of years my back pain and leg pain has noww become chronic and I am unable to live a normal life like my friends and how I would like to. Mr selmon performed spinal probes and epidural without much success. I have been to see mr selmon today and over the time we have talked about surgery and it has now come to the point that I can no longer cope with the poor quality of life.
He has spoke about place shock absorbers to support my back but is anxious If it will be a success and with my age. Mr selmon has said he wont fuse my spine because of my age.
I am having a mri done in a couple of weeks to compare. I really do not want to have surgery but I have such a poor quality of life and really struggle. I also fed up of taking morphine.Im sorry if I have babbled. Thankyou for taking the time to read my story. If you have any advice to give meor anything to suggest I could try and your stories. Also if you are from the south east of england and can suggest any good consultants preferably nhs would be much appreciated.