View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 04:09 AM

Jeff I did have VATS surgery with DrRegan. Oh it is a story and I will try to shorten it. First my wonderful Pasadena surgeon sent me to DrRegan as he did not have the equipment or a thoracic surgeon willing to do the approach.
I met DrRegan, who spent no time with me. I scheduled the surgery based on his reputation.
During surgery my phrenic nerve was damaged. It is the one that controls the diaphragm muscle and thus breathing., So in recovery i got into serious trouble and ended up in ICU once stabilized. I never heard from Regan. Never saw him at the hospital. I stayed 2 weeks and he never showed up. I called and spoke with him one time and told him i had no idea who was who on my list of doctors, didn't know what he had done and what had happened. He to this day if you asked him would still say nothing happened. Yet on his OR report at a certain point after the first level was treated, it states, we had problems with the lung. He had sent an associate who came for a few days and then told me i could leave. I still couldn't breathe well enough to make it to the bathroom. I had been assigned a primary care doc and was also being treated by a pulmonologist who both said i was no wear near ready to go home.
So bottom line , i cannot recommend this surgeon, DrRegan. He ruined my lung capacity (I am an avid exerciser) and did not have the decency to admit his damage to my nerve or offer any help in getting it diagnosed. If he had, it could have been surgically fixed by a neurosurgeon that i found. When i found the neurosurgeon who does repair phrenic nerves , it was too late to attempt a repair. I am now short of breath with any exertion. I lost 50% of my lung capacity.

If you want to pm me to get more info , please do. also to get my phone number and talk.
judy

My surgery was in Dec 2009 on T7-8 and attempt on T11-12.

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5

Last edited by jsewell; 01-08-2012 at 04:14 AM.